7 ½ oz. (1 and 2/3 cups) unbleached all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
6 oz. (3/4 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1-in pieces
3 tablespoons honey
1 drop pure Lavender oil, or Bergamot or Sweet Orange
1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Lightly butter a 9 ½-inch tart pan with removable bottom with cooking spray.
- In a food processor, briefly pulse the flour and sugar.
- Add the butter and pulse until incorporated and the mixture is sandy and uniform.
- Press the dough evenly into the prepared pan with your fingers. There will be some loose crumbs around the edges, but most of the dough should be solid and compact. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 350F. Make holes all over the cookie dough by using a fork. Bake the shortbread until golden in the center, 35-40 minutes.
- Heat the honey in the microwave until warm and liquid but not boiling, about 10 seconds. Add the oil of your choice. Pour the honey over the shortbread and spread with a pastry brush over the entire surface. Sprinkle the salt evenly over the honey.
- Transfer the pan to a rack and let the shortbread cool slightly, about 15 minutes. While still warm, remove the tart pan ring and cut the shortbread into squares using a sharp knife. Cool completely before serving.